Counselling & Treatment
BodyMatters is committed to the highest level care for our clients using treatment approaches that are proven to be effective.
It’s important to remember that, regardless of your experiences to date, recovery is possible. Effective treatment is a combination of the right treatment approach, the right therapist for you and the right timing. Our therapists are experienced in treating all kinds of eating, dieting and body image issues, including:
- Comfort & emotional eating
- Dieting disorders
- Pre weight- surgery screening
- Co-morbid conditions (including depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder)
- Fussy eating in children
- Weight management
- Post weight- surgery complications
- Food allergies resulting in dietary changes, including coeliac disease & FODMAPS
- Body dysmorphia
- Binge eating
- Purging disorder
- Compulsive exercise
- Lap band/ gastric surgery
BodyMatters therapists offer expertise within this expertise. Specifically:
- Maudsley Family Therapy treatment for people experiencing restrictive eating aged 17 and under. In Maudsley Family Therapy the whole family is involved as a resource to treat the eating disorder
- Skype based treatment for people who reside in regional and remote areas and for people with mobility issues
- Discrete, skills based treatment modules to help you build specific skills for issues that you are struggling with, such as obsessive exercise and assertiveness
- Low-cost counselling for those who otherwise cannot access treatment
- Recovery support groups to compliment treatment
- Parent and partner support groups to support your loved ones in the recovery journey
- A variety of online yoga services to improve mindfulness, physical strength and mind-body connection
- Parent, partner and sibling consultations to help you support your loved one
- Supervision for Intern Psychologists, experienced therapists and other allied health professionals
- Take a LEAP specialised group program for exercise addiction
- Events related to the recovery of eating and body image issues
- Support for people who have undertaken/ are considering bariatric surgery
Whatever your situation, our BodyMatters team is here to help. We provide comprehensive initial consultations to fully understand your unique situation. From there we develop a customised treatment plan matched to your specific needs. We balance research-based treatment approaches that are proven to work, with genuine care and compassion. Some of the questions you may have about treatment will be answered here.
Making the decision to recover may be one of the hardest things you’ll ever do. Be assured that our experienced therapists will be working with you at your pace, understanding your motivation and giving you the skills to make change when you are ready.
It is common for people with eating and body image issues to fear they are not sick enough to be taken seriously in treatment. However these issues are always serious, regardless of your size or the frequency of your symptoms. At BodyMatters we take a non-judgemental approach and treat all cases as genuine.
Research shows that the earlier you seek treatment the more likely you are to recover, so please contact us or call us on 02 9908 3833 as soon as you are ready. We are also very happy to discuss your specific needs or answer any questions you might have to assist you to determine whether treatment would be appropriate or beneficial for you.